Help for young carers
Direct support is available to young carers aged 8-25, city-wide.
We aim to provide young carers with respite from their responsibilities at home; to build their resilience and confidence to help them manage their caring more effectively; to reduce the amount of caring or the impacts that caring is having on their life; and to improve their health and wellbeing - both physical and emotional. We do this by providing a range of support over the course of one year, offering reunion events and other ways to stay involved after this time.
Please note: Due to high demand, we currently have a waiting list of up to three months.
- A home visit to meet the young person and their family.
- Four one-to-one sessions, for the young person to get to know a worker and receive individual support. These sessions are based on the needs and interests identified by the young person.
- A minimum of one term of evening groups, where young carers can have fun and a break from caring, learn skills to help them in their caring role and get peer support from other young people in similar situations. Each term’s programme is planned around the needs identified by the group members that term.
- Access to school holiday activities for one year, including trips, a summer residential and fun events for the whole family.
- Training and participation opportunities.
- Advocacy, case working, signposting and referrals.
- Opportunities to stay involved with the project after the core year of support has finished.
We currently provide the following groups:
- Fortnightly group for 16-25 year-olds from across Sheffield (up to 12 young people, meets in the city centre, travel costs reimbursed, Mondays 5-7pm).
- Weekly group for 12-16 year-olds from across Sheffield (up to 12 young people, meets in the city centre, travel costs reimbursed, Tuesdays 5-7pm).
- Weekly group for 8-12 year-olds living in south Sheffield (up to 8 young people per group, transport to and from home provided Wednesdays 5-7pm).
- Weekly group for 8-12 year-olds living in north Sheffield (up to 8 young people per group, transport to and from home provided, Thursdays 5-7pm).