Young Carers Event a Huge Success
- Sheffield Young Carers hit London!
- Chamber President goes the extra mile for SYC
- Dive into Carers Week 2013 with us!
- Significant increase in young carers revealed
- Lights, camera, action!
- Young Carers Showcase: "Inspiring" and "Compelling"
- SYC on the BBC
- Turning hard drives into cash for young carers!
- Roll up, roll up! Artists open house Dec 2012
- Give cash, not cards this Christmas!
- Come on you Reds, Blues - and Sheffield Chamber of Commerce!
- Get your running shoes on for SYC!
- Sheffield Young Carers get Big Lottery boost
- Young carers cook up a tasty treat for councillors
- Want to help young carers? Here's how!
- Dunelm Mill celebrate their success with us
- Courtside seats for Sheffield's young carers
- Highly commended by the High Sheriff, no less!
- Specsavers staff see young carers right
- Watch SYC's Play and Documentary
- Lottery funding for young carers in Sheffield!!!
- Congratulations David - Sheffield Young Carer of the Year
- Summer programme in full swing!
- Chris gets into the swim again for SYCP!
- Friends, fun...and farm animals!
- SYC hit the Peak District!
- The long and winding road!
- SYC's 29 Minute Meals - ON SALE NOW
- SYC Young People's Showcase and Launch Event
- Sheffield Young Carers...Breaking news!!!
- Young carers train their workers
- Young Carers Video Challenge
- Cheque this! Irwin Mitchell raises more than £10,000 for SYC
- Music in the Gardens goers dig deep!
- Henry Smith Charity awards £53,000 to SYC
- Richard limbers up for SYC
- Walk in Wigs for SYC
- Young Carer Gaby Meets Deputy PM
- SYC being evaluated - do we offer what young carers want?
- SYC Clinches Chamber Charity of the Year Accolade
- Wall of Balls 'Sunday Matinee' for Young Carers
- Farm, forest and so much fun!
- Family fun in the sun
- SYCP chosen as Irwin Mitchell’s joint charity of the year
- Carers Week 2011
- MP Meg Munn Taking Young Carers Views Forward!
- Young Carers Event a Huge Success
- Young Carers Granted £4000 to Spread the Word
- New Family Project at SYC
- Thank you donors!
- Richard McCourt supports Sheffield Young Carers
- Sheffield Young Carers live on stage
- Steel City presents... a 'rocking' night for young carers!
- Young Carers Taking on the World
- Mystery donor - many thanks Rachel!!!
- Kind Donations to SYC – Many thanks!
- Thank you Waitrose Customers
- Chris's Swim Results
- Our new website
On 24th March 2011, SYC's VOYCE group (Views of Young Carers Explained) hosted a large-scale awareness-raising event for professionals from across Sheffield, to create more understanding about the issues young carers face and to improve support for young carers across the city.
The event was hosted by 8 young carers aged 8-17, with many other project members supporting the fundraising, organisation and publicity for the event.
73 professionals from a range of fields, including health, education, social care and the community/voluntary sector attended to hear what the VOYCE group had to say. The young people involved delivered a powerful presentation sharing some of their experiences as young carers and explaining an action plan that they have created that they want professionals to take forward in Sheffield.
The group also facilitated a range of workshops, enabling participants to find out more and to pledge actions of support.
The group had the opportunity to speak to Mr David Blunkett for 30 minutes at the start of the event, to share their views directly with him, and he then presented them with ASDAN certificates for the training and work they have put in to form their participation group and lead this event.
The event was huge success, with glowing feedback form everyone who attended. Many people also made direct pledges of support, including promises to fund, produce and implement a young carers ID card in local schools to reduce the embarrassment and stress of explaining about home issues whenever caring impacts on people's schooling, with more understanding at school a key issue in the VOYCE action plan.
The group also spoke on local radio, appeared in the Sheffield Star and contacted every school in Sheffield to notify them about the event. Congratulations to everyone involved – an amazing achievement. You are really making sure everyone hears the Views of Young Carers Explained!!!
SYC's VOYCE group making Sheffield sit up and listen!!!!