Young Carer Gaby Meets Deputy PM
- Sheffield Young Carers hit London!
- Chamber President goes the extra mile for SYC
- Dive into Carers Week 2013 with us!
- Significant increase in young carers revealed
- Lights, camera, action!
- Young Carers Showcase: "Inspiring" and "Compelling"
- SYC on the BBC
- Turning hard drives into cash for young carers!
- Roll up, roll up! Artists open house Dec 2012
- Give cash, not cards this Christmas!
- Come on you Reds, Blues - and Sheffield Chamber of Commerce!
- Get your running shoes on for SYC!
- Sheffield Young Carers get Big Lottery boost
- Young carers cook up a tasty treat for councillors
- Want to help young carers? Here's how!
- Dunelm Mill celebrate their success with us
- Courtside seats for Sheffield's young carers
- Highly commended by the High Sheriff, no less!
- Specsavers staff see young carers right
- Watch SYC's Play and Documentary
- Lottery funding for young carers in Sheffield!!!
- Congratulations David - Sheffield Young Carer of the Year
- Summer programme in full swing!
- Chris gets into the swim again for SYCP!
- Friends, fun...and farm animals!
- SYC hit the Peak District!
- The long and winding road!
- SYC's 29 Minute Meals - ON SALE NOW
- SYC Young People's Showcase and Launch Event
- Sheffield Young Carers...Breaking news!!!
- Young carers train their workers
- Young Carers Video Challenge
- Cheque this! Irwin Mitchell raises more than £10,000 for SYC
- Music in the Gardens goers dig deep!
- Henry Smith Charity awards £53,000 to SYC
- Richard limbers up for SYC
- Walk in Wigs for SYC
- Young Carer Gaby Meets Deputy PM
- SYC being evaluated - do we offer what young carers want?
- SYC Clinches Chamber Charity of the Year Accolade
- Wall of Balls 'Sunday Matinee' for Young Carers
- Farm, forest and so much fun!
- Family fun in the sun
- SYCP chosen as Irwin Mitchell’s joint charity of the year
- Carers Week 2011
- MP Meg Munn Taking Young Carers Views Forward!
- Young Carers Event a Huge Success
- Young Carers Granted £4000 to Spread the Word
- New Family Project at SYC
- Thank you donors!
- Richard McCourt supports Sheffield Young Carers
- Sheffield Young Carers live on stage
- Steel City presents... a 'rocking' night for young carers!
- Young Carers Taking on the World
- Mystery donor - many thanks Rachel!!!
- Kind Donations to SYC – Many thanks!
- Thank you Waitrose Customers
- Chris's Swim Results
- Our new website
On Friday 15th June, SYC was invited to attend the opening of Whirlow Hall Farm Trust Education Centre. Also in attendance was none other than Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg who was there to do the official opening.
Whirlow Hall Farm Trust are supporting young carers in Sheffield by hosting and part-funding our summer residentials this year, which will give up to 40 young carers the chance to attend forest school/outdoor activity breaks over three residentials during the summer holidays.
Gaby, a young carer who is a member of SYC and Chilypep’s VOYCE group (Views of Young Carers Explained), attended their opening event alongside SYC manager Liz Church and had the chance to meet Mr Clegg and give him some information about the work that the VOYCE group are doing to raise the profile of young carers in the city.
Here's what Gaby had to say about the day:
“Me and Liz went to Whirlow Hall Farm for the opening of their new education building. When I met Liz that afternoon she said I was going to be the first young carer in the building and the first from SYC/VOYCE to meet Nick Clegg. I was quite excited.
When we got there, there were lots of people all dressed smartly and looking really professional. The people who were there for the official opening all had something to do with the building. I got quite nervous when Liz introduced me to some of the councillors.
I spoke to some of the Whirlow Hall workers and I explained to them what VOYCE is and how it got set up. When Nick Clegg got there, we had a small presentation about the building and what it offers to young people. Some of the students who were the first people to use the building were there and we saw pictures of what they did. They also talked about wanting to work with young carers and the SYC residentials in the summer. It sounds like so much fun !!
Nick Clegg then went to unveil the plaque and declared the building open. Just before he went, me and Liz managed to speak to him about SYC and VOYCE and I also gave him one of our information packs. Nick Clegg said we were AMAZING!!!!
When I spoke to Nick Clegg I was nervous because compared to him I'm tiny so I had to look up at him and he's the Deputy Prime Minister :) The afternoon went really well and the new building is FABULOUS!!!! I'm looking forward to the residential in summer now :) ”
Young carer Gaby meets Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, taking the views of young carers straight to the top!